Friday, February 11, 2011

The Icelandic Sheep

Here are some recent pictures of the Icelandic sheep I bought this summer. I am so excited for lambing to begin. Even though I only bred the two older ewes. I let the four young ones have one more year to grow and mature before I breed them.

Hank, a yearling ram out of Evra.


Herriot, an yearling ram. He was suppose to be my flock sire but his horns are not growing as wide as I would like. I have bred him to Evra this year and will see how the lambs turn out. I wonder if his horn set has anything to do with the stress of weaning and moving in the heat of the summer.



Hattie, a yearling ewe. She is doesn't like her photo taken. This is the best one I could get of her. She is not very friendly yet.


This is Evra, a four year old ewe. She is bred to Herriot. And Heidi, Evra's ewe lamb from last year. Heidi and Hattie are of the same mind set that mom's are better than humans. I hope once Evra and Garnett have their lambs this spring that the two yearlings will become a little more friendly.


Hazel, a yearling ewe lamb. She has the sweetest personality. She always comes up for a little scratching on the way the dinner.


Hosta, a yearling ewe. She was very skittish when she first came but she is very friendly now. And she has the cutest expressions!


Garnet, a two year old ewe. She is bred to Hank. I can't wait to see what colors I get from this combination.



Hosta and Hazel getting a little treat for being so sweet girls.




1 comment:

  1. Evra is my fav. Getting close to lambing time. I'm guessing mine should start between 4-14 and 4-24. Well see.

    ReplyDelete